Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Understanding Svchost Part II

I have published a brief papers on svchost.exe: Svchost:To Whom and Why . It explains how to use a Mark Russinovich (Microsoft: www.Sysinternals.com) tool set to understand svchost.exe behavior. Microsoft uses Limelight Networks (among other 'CDNs') to help them distribute update content. What I do not like about this is that when you enable Microsoft update you do not explicitly give Microsoft permission to use a third party CDN to send and receive data from your PC. But that is exactly what happens in the world of Edge Networks, 'CDNs', 'Software Ecosystems' and 'Cloud computing'. Data from my computer is sent elsewhere without my permission to network locations that are not local to the Pacific Northwest or necessarily controlled by the software vendor of which I have service level agreements.

No comments:

Post a Comment